Is 'Zocef'safe for severe dry cough treatment?

Hi This is XXXXXXX I have a dry coughing since 4 days. It is so severe that I cant even sleep. There is no cough though. I am almost 6 months pregnant. My doctor has prescribed Zocef 250mg for 5 days, twice daily. Is it safe to use?
Posted Tue, 28 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Follows. Detailed Answer: Dear Madam , Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX Well looking into your problem I will like to tell you that it .Zocef contains cefuroxime which belongs to category B drugs in pregnancy according to FDA which means according to animal studies no fetal risk was demonstrated and human studies are lacking. Cephalosporins are usually considered safe for use during pregnancy but still benefits needs to be weighed . If your doctor has suggested this you can take it because you are just entering 3 rd trimester so risk is less as the fetus formation has already taken place . Take care. Dr. Shruti