Is Relent syrup good for treatment of cold and running nose?

Feb 2013

Hello Doctor, This is regarding my daughter’s health. She is 11 months old, weighing around 8.5 kg and is generally active. From last 4 days, she is having cold and running nose problem. We have been giving T-minic drops and it has reduced but not completely. Still she has running nose and is causing her irritation at times. The breathing sound when she is sleeping makes us feel that she is not fully comfortable. Please suggest good and effective medicine without any adverse side effects to overcome this problem. We were suggested Relent by family members. Is Relent syrup a good option? Additional details: She is taking her foods normally and sleeps normally and is generally active except at times when she has irritation due to running nose. On second day she had fever and we gave two doses of Calpol syrup and there is no fever from third day. Thanks in advance. Regards, XXXX
Posted Sun, 9 Feb 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: use nasal saline drops. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic. For cold, you can continue Tmnic drops as prescribed by the Pediatrician. Relent is also contains an oral antihistamine-cetrizine and in addition it contains ambroxol which is a mucolytic drug. Relent is usually suggested in children with cold associated with cough. Disturbance during sleep could be due to the nose block. For nose block you can put nasal saline drops one or two in to each nostril especially before sleeping and before feeding. And you can use some remedies like Vicks application on chest of baby or on pillow for vapour effect which will cause soothing effect on nasal passages. Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know. Regards.