Is Polycythemia vera fatal?

My nurse practioner said she thinks I have p vera ! Is this fatal if treated ? I've always had quirky blood test. I high ANA false positive lupus test false positive syphllis test ect. Coud this be another quirky blood. My HCT was 64.0
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Not likely to be false positive. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for trusting us with your health concern. Since your HCT was 64.0 your nurse might be correct in telling that you have P vera. Polycythemia vera (PV) doesn't have a cure. But it is not fatal. Treatments can help control the disease and its complications. Phlebotomy or bloodletting has been the mainstay of therapy for the polycythemia vera (PV) disease process. The object is to remove excess cellular elements, mainly red blood cells, to improve the circulation of blood by lowering the blood viscosity. Your doctor may prescribe medicines to keep your bone marrow from making too many red blood cells. This is not likely to be a false positive test. Direct measurement of the red blood cell mass should show an increase with a normal or slightly decreased plasma volume. This will help in confirmation of diagnosis. Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Rakhi Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Follow-up: Is Polycythemia vera fatal? 10 minutes later
Thank you ! I was very concerned about it being fatal. I was scared to death because I have a 12 year old son I want to watch grow up. Sadly Google says you have only an elven year survival rate. That was the reason I wanted to talk to a doctor.One other question do I need to be removed from the Be The Match registery ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: No need. Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. There is no need to get yourself removed from Be The Match registery. Please do not worry. Adequate treatments are available to take care of you. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards
Follow-up: Is Polycythemia vera fatal? 4 minutes later
Thank you ! The internet is full of depressing misleading information on all illnesses. I should know better thgan to Google something like this
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer: You are welcome. Detailed Answer: Hello. Googling the symptoms is an easy way to know that you are seriously ill. It is best to share your problems with a health care practitioner. Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful. I wish you the very best in whatever you do. Warm regards