Is HIV RNA test accurate at 13 days post exposure?

HIV AIDS Specialist
i gave blood test (RNA HIV) after 13 days of the time period good enough to find the results.
first week after exposure - mild fever,tiredness,itching legs and hands,muscle pain,loss of weight.. 12 days after exposure - bit red spot on my hands,feeling sweaty most times,tiredness,loss of weight,pennis was less sensitive and it its erection now normal but can see enlarged ball no pain,got abdominal pain and it stopped now
Posted Fri, 1 Nov 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
DNA PCR or COMBO test after 4 weeks suggested.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Earliest symptoms of HIV can occur only after 3-4 weeks of infection. So all your symptoms of fever, tiredness, muscle pain, feeling sweaty are unlikely to be due to HIV. Loss of weight in HIV can occur after 5-7 years of HIV infection. So need not worry about HIV. Numbness of penis might have been due to your fear for the disease.
HIV antibody test after 6 days has no importance or value as it is well within the window period during this time antibody against HIV would not have appeared and the test will show a negative result even in the presence of infection.
HIV PCR test will become positive within a weeks time and it becomes more conclusive after 3-4 weeks after the high risk activity. Moreover RNA PCR will be useful to the prognosis (disease progression or a response to treatment) of the disease rather than for a diagnosis.
So it is better to have DNA PCR or 4th Generation COMBO/DUO test after 4 weeks of your high risk exposure and confirm that you are free from HIV. It would be more conclusive.
DR S.Murugan
Follow-up: Is HIV RNA test accurate at 13 days post exposure? 2 days later
Hi doctor,
Thanks for our reply. now its 18 days exposure,still mild fever comes occasionaly,fatique,no cold or dihorea.i think i crossed seroconvesion state because so many body changes(im not steady at all) in the first 2 weeks..i never faced like this ever in my life..
i got cd4 count as 550.plz advice this count is normal, i really dont know doctor how to face life with hep b and hiv+

Please help me doctor

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be HIV sero-conversion. CD4 is normal

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

You had not mentioned your RNA PCR results. Have you received the same?
Do you have Hepatitis B?

Sero-conversion for HIV will take not less than 4 weeks. Your symptoms may be due to ordinary Flu or may be due to Hepatitis and unlikely to be due to HIV.
CD4 above 500 is normal only.
Nothing to worry.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Is HIV RNA test accurate at 13 days post exposure? 32 hours later
Hi Doctor,
All my below symptoms are reducing now..
1) very light body temperature occuring sometimes
2) still swollen groin is there but no pain
3) muslce tingling rarely occuring.
4)itching,burning sensation,shooting pains on legs and hands stopped
5) never had cold,cough,direhea,vomitting during entire period
6) loss of appetie and loss of weight..its little bit improving now
7) still tiredness is there,no energy and no concentration,mind is not proper..

test results after 17 days exposure:

HIV RNA negative
NO viral load detcted
CD4 count as 716.

Please kindly reivew above and advice me further.

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Negative RNAPCR,hike in CD4 count assure HIV free

Detailed Answer:

You are normal. Your symptoms are not related to HIV.
You are free from HIV.
Just forget about the past and always try to stick to protected sex in future and avoid unnecessary tension. If possible have an another antibody rapid test after 3 months to have an extra confirmation.
Dr S.Murugan