Is Epididymitis sexually transmitted?

Last year, my spouse was diagnosed with hydrocele, which grew. this week, the dr. came out of surgery, talking epididymitis. The patient is 68 years old. my question is: do routine blood tests check for std's? Or did this come from heavy lifting? I'm a stroke patient, with mygraines. This leaves me with the conundrum of how to go about the follow up dr visit at the end of this month. Definite hydrocele, but the surgeon came out, glossed over "epididimytis" and left. My husband doesn't "get" it, and I would rather not go into possible causes for this unless I have to. Yes, there was 1 indiscretion 7 years ago on his part, but in all these 3 mo visits for blood tests for chloresterol, cbc, would he have been checked for std's? Is this a private conversation, or is it viewed online by public?
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 29 minutes later
Brief Answer: Epididymitis not necessarily STD Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for the query I would like to clear it at the outset that Epididymitis need not always be from an sexually transmitted organism. There are other microorganisms which can cause Epididymitis. Coming to your question. Routinely, before surgery only HIV is screened for, other sexually transmitted diseases are not done on a regular basis. Long standing hydrocele could have caused epididymitis. This is a private conversation, it cannot be viewed by public I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries please get back to me I wish your husband a speedy recovery Regards