Is Clostridium Difficile Colitis a contagious disease?

I have MS Someone is staying with me who had C.dfficile infection in the hosp. She recovered in a nursing home in mid-Dec. I know it lays dormant in the body. Am I at any risk?
Posted Fri, 31 Jan 2014 in Infections
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: You are not at risk Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day You are definitely not at risk. It's not known to spread from person to person. Clostrium difficile becomes pathological only in those individuals who have certain predisposing factors like immunosuppressive, long term antibiotics use. Rest be assured just by staying with a Clostrium difficile patient who has been treated, you are not at risk. In case you require any further assistance, will be glad to assist you. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD
Follow-up: Is Clostridium Difficile Colitis a contagious disease? 3 hours later
This is not the info we got in her release papers. It says that it can be transferred to others. It also states that a person can have c diff and not have any symptoms and can spread the infection to others. This does not seem to be cohesive to the information were given. Can you explain
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Spread is by feco-oral Detailed Answer: Greetings Even in asymptomatic carrier state , Clostridium difficile colononize the gastro-instestinal tract and may be excreted in the stools. The main route of spread is feces to mouth. Enough personal care and hygiene should be maintained by the family members to avoid spread through this route. I would also suggest you to advise her about good hand washing especially after bowel movements. In case you need any further assistance, do get back to me. Take Care Best Regards Dr T Shobha
Dr. T XXXXXXX Thank you for all the information and time. You have brought clarity to our situation. Be Blessed. XXXX
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: Happy new year 2014 Detailed Answer: Wishing you and your family a very happy new year 2014. Do get back if you need any further assistance. Take Care Best Regards Dr T XXXXXXX