Is CT scan or ultrasound better to detect kidney conditions ?

Hello. My father, aged 63, was experiencing indigestion, bloating, etc. and his primary sent him for an ultrasound. The results claimed there was a spot on his RIGHT kidney, so his doctor ordered a CT scan. The CT scan report says he has a 7cm mass on his LEFT kidney, not his right kidney. How is it possible that the ultrasound said right kidney, but the CT said left kidney without there being some sort of mistake?
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Rajiv goel 5 hours later

Ultrasound is a primary diagnostic tool but it is not very specific. Ultrasound may not pick up a lot of findings and hence any patient with some features on USG should be subjected to CT scan.

CT scan is very sensitive and specific modality and you should believe the CT scan report.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.