Is Balloon Sinuplasty advisable for nasal obstruction and breathing difficulty?

ENT Specialist
I have been suffering from nasal obstruction and breathing difficulty since over 15 years now. It has worsened in the last few months. I have been advised to undergo Balloon Sinuplasty by an ENT specialist. I wish to take a 2nd opinion on this from you. I have attached a copy of my CT Scan report and films.
Posted Sun, 16 Feb 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Medical treatment should proceed the surgical Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. There are two types of complaints, a difficulty in breathing/mechanical obstruction and the other is feeling of blocked nose/heaviness. The first one can be due to mechanical obstruction like deviated septum, turbinate hypertrophy, concha bullosa any polypoidal changes in nose. Feeling of blocked/heaviness can be because of the findings you CT is showing. Balloon sinuplasty helps in clearing the mildly obstructed sinuses and your CT findings seem to be amenable to the procedure. Usually medical treatment in the form of a short course of oral steroids (if patient is fit for that) and/or intra nasal steroid sprays is used. If symptoms do not get relieved, then surgical option is availed. Discuss this with your ENT. If mechanical obstruction is there, there will be needed additional procedures like conchoplasty, spurectomy in the same sitting. Feel free to ask another query. Regards
Follow-up: Is Balloon Sinuplasty advisable for nasal obstruction and breathing difficulty? 55 minutes later
Hi Doctor Thanks for your prompt reply. I have been taking Mometasone Aqueous Nasal Spray IP 50 mcg since a month now. But the improvement is very marginal. In your view, can Balloon Sinuplasty and correction in the septum etc give me a permanent relief from the nasal obstruction/breathing difficulty and chronic mild pain on the sides of my head? I am actually fed up of this condition. Regards XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most probably should get relief Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Your CT scan report is showing mild changes and these can be corrected by balloon sinuplasty and few additional mirror procedures. But please keep in mind, sometimes the symptoms of sinusitis do not completely respond to surgical procedures and can also reoccur. So, medical treatment post surgery is usually also required. Anyway, your treating surgeon is the best judge as he/she must have physically examined you. Feel free to ask another query. Regards