Is Atrial Fib and Arrythmia different?

May 2014

Is Atrial Fib and arrythmia different. My SOB comes and goes along with a lack of O2 to my legs. An EKG confirms AF. I am awaiting Holter, echo and X ray results and skipped an angiagram this morning looking for something that is more defined before we just do a procedure to do one.
Posted Sun, 9 Mar 2014 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Intracardiac electrophysiology study (EPS) Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX Thanks for writing in to us. Arrythmia is a more general term used to describe heart rhythm disorder while atrial fibrillation is more specific. If AF is confirmed by EKG then it must be evaluated in detail to know the exact cause. AF is an electrophysiological disorder and due to abnormal electric impulses generated in the heart causing the heart to pump in an abnormal manner. Holter and echo may give good information on the exact functioning of your heart. Further electrophysiological studies of your heart like Intracardiac electrophysiology study (EPS) may be required. This is done in a laboratory and gives detailed information on abnormal heart beats. There can be other medical causes of AF like metabolic syndrome as mentioned by you and needs consideration. Angiogram gives more information on coronary arteries and the flow through them. Hope your query is answered. Do write back if you have any doubts. Regards, Dr.Vivek.