Is Atenolol or is Metoprolol Tartrate better?

Jul 2016

I was prescribed atenolol but was prescribed metoprolol tartrate by another doctor,which one is preferred
Posted Tue, 11 Feb 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Both drugs are of same group B1 receptor antagonis Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have hypertension and have been prescribed Atenolol by one physician and Metoprolol by other Physician. Both the drugs belong to same group of medication B1 receptor antagonist and have similar effect of lowering the hypertension. The only difference is that the action of Metoprolol Tartrate starts earlier(Fast Acting) than Atenolol and there is slight difference on levels of Lipoprotein (VLDL) very low density cholesterol.With Metoprolol there is slight rise in levels of VLDL after taking it for a long period of time . There is nothing to be worried about it.You can discuss this with your treating Physician. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Follow-up: Is Atenolol or is Metoprolol Tartrate better? 1 hour later
which one would you suggest I TAke
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You can can take Metoprolol Tartrate. Detailed Answer: Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.