Irritated throat, hurting ear, thick skin scale, took keflex. Cure?

I had a terrible irritated throat, hurting up to my ear, when I took an antibiotic keflex, I had a 1 cm square thick skin scale come out several times on my healing. I never saw this before as i am a nurse. I would of thought I was a snake . the piece of skin was almost like calloused skin , Do you know what this is I never went to the doctor I took my dogs antibiotic to get rid of it. Thanks XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

What you describe may reflect and inflammatory reaction which happened in your throat. This is certainly possible if there was an extended area of irritation associated with the infection.

During the process of the infection there must have been a area where this large piece of skin originated from. If he areas stand in certain portion of the back of your throat and the upper part of your airway it could certainly lead to the appearance of a large piece of skin which you have described. I would not worry about this at all. Your body is in the process of healing and the human body has an amazing ability to heal itself even in the setting up a severe infection.

As far as recommendations for the time being I think you should work on helping your body continue to heal. In this process is very important for you to get an adequate amount of sleep every night. In addition it well balanced diet with good protein intake is certainly important as your body regenerate areas which have been inflamed and damaged. Also it is very important that you maintain good fluid hydration during the day. All this together in addition to a regimental moderate exercise is well known to promote good immune function and healing.

Again let me reassure you that I am not worried that this is any type of process which is of major concern. I don't think it reflects anything more than the moderate inflammatory process associated with your infection.

I think you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.