Irregular periods, spotting, vaginal fluid, odor, pregnancy ?

I am a 25 year old female. Caucasion. I am 5'6" and 165 lbs. My last period was January 19, 2011. I don't have regular periods. I have had one previous pregnancy, delivered a healthy baby boy at 35 1/2 weeks.

Here are my queries: I have had some spotting the last couple of days. It is very light, but I also have vaginal fluid that has been pretty wet off and on. The spotting is a brownish/lavendar color and also some that is pink in color. It also has an odor. Should I be worried? I also feel I may be pregnant and that's why I'm spotting rather than cycling. Can I have an odor if I am pregnant?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

Since you have a history of irregular periods and the last menstrual period was in January, it is essential to confirm the status of your pregnancy. I suggest you to do a urine for pregnancy test or get your serum HCG (serum pregnancy test) levels done.

Bleeding which is pinkish or brownish in color and more like spotting rather than menstruation is implantation bleeding which occurs when the fertilized ovum implants in the lining of the uterus. It can also be due to brownish spotting due to corpus luteum defect in early pregnancy which requires supplementation of progesterone hormone. You can have an odor in the discharge when pregnant and in that case any genital infection needs to be ruled out by means of a cervical swab.

If pregnancy is ruled out by these tests then we need to rule out other causes like genital infections, polycystic ovarian syndrome, diseases of pituitary gland, hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone and uterine abnormalities like fibroid and cervical dysplasia.

Then you need to get tests like blood sugar levels, thyroid function test, prolactin, follicle-stimulating hormone (FSA), estrogen, testosterone levels and ultrasound and CT abdomen done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.