Iron deficiency due to hemorrhoids. History of stent placement, hypertension and high cholesterol. Taking crestor and iron pills. Suggestions?

General Surgeon
I have had 5 stents placed in my arteries due to high blood pressure and cholesterol. My blood pressure has stabilized and my cholesterol is back to normal but obviously taking crestor and other meds, to control the effects, will probably be part of me for the rest of my life but here is the problem.

I suffer from hemorrhoids with no pains but of course with excessive bleeding due to blood thinners. The excessive bleeding causes me to be deficient in iron and it also affects my hemoglobin. So I am also taking iron pills which cause constipation which causes more bleeding from the hemorrhoids. In other words I am caught in this vicious circle with no chance of winning. Last year my blood supply was so low that I was sent to the hospital where they had to give me 4 units of blood to stabilize my body. I felt great after the treatment.

I am 64 years old and usually very active (golf, hockey, snorkeling) but now I am always tired and I want MY LIFE BACK.

What do you recommend??

I am conscious that a good fiber diet does help and more liquid ( I know I do not drink enough). I am thinking of surgery!!!

Dying to try anything to be back to normal!

Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 20 hours later
Thanks for nice query.     

For painless bleeding due to hemorrhoids, in a person with stent placed already, the best treatment is surgical intervention in the form of Hemorrhoidectomy.

Chances of permanent cure is very high with little known complication and side effects.

Depending upon the degree of hemorrhoids many treatment options are available like local injection of sclerosant ( sclerotherapy), band ligation, but in your case, best would be Hemorrhoidectomy .

Conventional Hemorrhoidectomy provides permanent symptomatic relief for most patients, and effectively treats any external component of the hemorrhoids.

Lasers are advertised as being a less painful, faster-healing method of removing hemorrhoids.

You can discuss this treatment option with your treating doctor. He will help you to suggest the best one for you, as he has examined you.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.