Ask a Urologist   »  

Involuntary urination at night, during deep sleep, stress, overactive bladder, kegel exercises

Question
hi, i'm 26 years female,, i had huge problem since 26 years which is Involuntary urination at night or whenever i'm sleeping deeply. i'm realy embarassed. whatever the causes were, i'm looking for the solution, i tried not to drink liqiuds at night but it doesnt work always. i'm taking some medications like tofranil but also it doesn't work all the time. i can't practice my life as usual. it is a very essential obstacle in my life. currently, i want to marry but i can't because of this. how could i overcome it? is there any proved treatment for that or surgery to do and is there any institution for this medical problems or proved researches??
thanks alot
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 6 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for your query
Involuntary Urination is a very common problem in women.It can be due to various reasons as due to stress,overactive bladder,infection etc.
Since you are having the problem since long it requires a proper evaluation.There are various treatment options available for treating incontinence(involuntary passage of urine).
You can do "Kegel Exercises" at home.It helps in tightening the pelvic floor muscles and strengthes the area preventing leakage.
If the medications are not helping at all then there are injections for controlling the problem but they are given at regular intervals.
Even after this if there is no relief then surgery is also an alternative.
Kindly discuss with a Urologist regarding various treatment options available.It is curable and do not be stressed about it.

Hope I have answerd your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.

Follow-up: Involuntary urination at night, during deep sleep, stress, overactive bladder, kegel exercises 11 hours later
thank you very much doctor i really appreciate your response you really made the hope in treatment again and hope more doctors can answer me to get the maximum benefits of those valuable information. just i want to check what are "kegel exercises" ? as well as what are those injections and are they long life and available every where, and every how long should be taken? and for the sugery it would be for the bladder or norrowing of the urethra or ureter?the last question is that is there any similar case that had been recovered during your practice?

waiting your response and thank you again and again.

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 3 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Your queries are:
What are Kegel exercises?
Kegel exercises:Tighten your pelvic floor muscles (as you are trying to hold urine).Hold for a count of ten and then rest for another ten counts.Repeat it several times of day.This is the basic Kegel but there are some other modified ones also which cannot be explained here.Kindly see a Gynaecologist who can explain you and observe it.

What are those injections and are they long life and available every where, and every how long should be taken?
Injections are of bulking agents as collagen and are inserted near the urinary sphincter,bladder and urethra.The treatment can be decided after observation and how the body reacts to it.Usually they are given for few months.

Surgery it would be for the bladder or norrowing of the urethra or ureter?
Surgeries are of three different types as suspension and two slings in which the bladder is supported but that can be decided by the Surgeon which is best suitable after examining the condition.

Is there any similar case that had been recovered during your practice?
Incontinence is treatable and I have seen patients recovering from them.

Wishing you Good Health!