Intermittent white spots on back and sides of throat, swollen glands, salivary gland stones. Smoke Meth. Reason?

I have white spots on the back and sides of my throat and my glands, especially my right one, are very swollen. My throat is also very red. It looks similar to when I have had strep throat, but my throat only hurts about once every couple weeks right away in the morning and then goes away. Other than that it doesn't really hurt, but it is kind of difficult to swallow at times. The spots have been there on and off for about a month or so. About 6 months ago I started smoking meth again (hadn't done it in about 3 years) and was wondering if that could have something to do with it? I also have salivary gland stones that I can't get to pass. They normally are only under my tongue when I get them, but I wondered if they are in my other glands now too and that is why my glands are swollen. If this could all be from smoking meth I would prefer to not go to the doctor if it will go away when I stop. I want to make sure it is not something more serious. Thank you.

I have also been going through an unusual amount of stress lately. I am starting to go through a divorce because my husband pulled a shotgun on me and had me cornered in a room in our basement. He went to jail and there is a no contact order, but he violates it every day. Within the same month (February 2012) I was also promoted to lead my department at work and take on many new challenges as well as working 10-14 hour days and sometimes 6 days a week. I don't know if stress would matter but I am sure it is taking it's toll in some way.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
The white spots on the back of your throat with occasional pain is suggestive of an infection in your glands. Drink plenty of fluids throughout the day and use over-the-counter throat lozenges. Salt water gargle is also a good way to relieve a sore throat. In addition, take like Ibuprofen and Paracetamol (Acetaminophen) after consulting your general physician.

Also get a rapid strep test (to rule out streptococcal sore throat) and a throat swab done at your doctor’s office so that if it is bacterial Pharyngitis, you will need a course of antibiotics.
This infection is not likely to be related to your smoking meth. But it decreases the rate of clearance of infection.
The stress and anxiety can be predisposing factors but you need to consult your physician for treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.