Intermittent sharp pain below ribs. What is the cause and treatment?

Jan 2013

I have an intermittent sharp pain under my lower right ribs.There is an almost permanent dull ache in that area. I also have a lot of wind , sometimes coming up to the throat as a reflux sensation. I have recently had an endoscopy test through the mouth and he results indicate a healthy stomach and duodenum area.
Posted Tue, 29 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 34 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX form.

Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness along with mentioned symptoms?
What was your ultrasound imaging reports?
Let me know the drug name used for the control of blood pressure.

Crohn's disease generally affects gastrointestinal tract from mouth up to the rectum.
Normal endoscopy indicates control of disease in upper gastrointestinal tract.
Presence of dull ache in upper abdomen with dyspeptic symptoms may be due to peptic ulcer disease, hepatitis, gall bladder pathology and functional dyspepsia.

Peptic ulcer disease may be in form of chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis and gastric & duodenal ulcer and adenocarcinoma of stomach.
Presence of dyspeptic symptoms with normal endoscopy may be due to non erosive gastro-esophageal reflux disease (NERD).

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for breath urea test for H. pylori infection.
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.

Excessive gas formation with belching may be due to decreased gastrointestinal motility and you should also go for thyroid profile and blood sugar level.
You should also go for ultrasound imaging studies of abdomen.

Avoid tomatoes, legumes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, spicy and oily food.
Avoid putting boiled potatoes and dough in refrigerator.
Take < 200 ml of milk per day.
Avoid tea, coffee and chocolates.
Take soft diet with yogurt.
You should take proper treatment of Crohn's disease.
Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava