Intermittent occurrence of itchy dots in inner thigh, upper thigh and stomach. What could be the reason?

hi me and my boyfriend have had itchy dots that look like insect bites mostly around our inner thigh, upper thigh and tummy area. it goes away and then comes back, its been like this for almost a week
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in.

This may be a fungal or a mite infection.

To get a better understanding of your problem, I need you to answer the following questions...

Do you have itching in the finger web spaces also?

Is the itching worse at night?

Do you see a mixture of red and yellow lesions?

Please reply to the above question and then we will proceed further.

In the meantime, you may take anti-histamine tablets like fexofenadine 180mg twice daily. This will help relieve your itch.

Awaiting your response..

Follow-up: Intermittent occurrence of itchy dots in inner thigh, upper thigh and stomach. What could be the reason? 5 hours later
there is no itching between the fingers or toes........the itch is often during the night also my boyfriend has had lumping looking hard blisters on his penis and sometimes they itch also.
He has used anti fungal cream but has not helped.
the spots are only red.
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 minutes later
Thanks for following up.

The symptoms that you have described fit perfectly with scabies which is a mite infection.

It is contagious and spreads from one person to other through close contact.

The best treatment is to apply permethrin 5% cream all over the body over night.

Repeat after a week.

For itching take anti-histamine tablets like loratidine 10mg in morning and hydroxyzine 25mg before sleep for a fortnight or so.

Wash all your clothes and bed linen in hot water.

These medicines are not available OTC so you may have to consult a dermatologist personally for a prescription.

Everything will be fine after the treatment.

Wish you good health