Injury to elbow, strained shoulder, severe pain, on physiotherapy, diagnosed with tendinitis. Recovery period?

dear dr
I am 47 years of age woman 5foot 10inch normal weight good health until I caught a falling 6metre steel gutter with right hand and bent elbow while up ladder causing massive jar to arm with sharp pain in bicep lasting only 4 seconds with a feeling of numbness through my body.Hours later had aching in back of shoulder and under arm. Saw dr, she told me I have severe strain shoulder,don't lift anything heavy for month. Pain became worse extending into front of shoulder and arm losing all strength in arm and stiff elbow. After ultrasound found tendinitis diagnosis. Dr says don't lift anything and rest. Pain amazingly went after 5 weeks but I was not told to do things gradually and lifted something and the pain returned in 30 minutes much worse with throbbing aching arm and stiffness in arm and shoulder. Accidentally reinjuring it 4 or more times opening cupboard draws or lifting more than 400grams causing aching stinging pain in lowerarm then upperarm concentrating into throbbing pain in bicep muscle. Had injection into bursa causing worse pain for 2 weeks with no benefit after. Now having physio with strengthening exercise using rubber band,have had shoulder tendinitis now for 4 months from injury with pain shoulder and bicep, during dr assessment to see if I have a tear in my shoulder he bent my wrist back, it did not hurt until hours later causing stinging pain in wrist and aching forearm and upperarm now a week ago. I needed ice for the pain. I hadn't had stinging pain in my arm for months before this.why did he do that making my injury worse when I was starting to improve with only minor pain in upperarm? also can you tell me when or if I will recover from this horrible disabling injury and make a full recovery?.
Had mri recently no tear in shoulder tendons,supraspinatus tendinitus
regards XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

I can understand your frustration.

A tendon injury pain extending for 4 months is a matter of concern.Since you have repeatedly got it re injured, the recovery is taking even longer.

Adequate relaxation of the surrounding muscles is necessary to reduce the pain. You can ask your orthopedician to prescribe you good muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside.

Avoid exercise in the times of pain. Immobilize the joint with an arm sling whenever there is extreme pain. Such chronic injuries sometimes take long time to recover.

Do not feel disheartened. You will be fine soon.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.