Injured skin on right testis, feels like an abscess. Located during self examination. What is it?

Question
I just performed a self exam and it feels like there is an area on my right teste that is not fluch with the rest, as if a piece of the skin was missing (like if one injured the outer layer of skin on the body, except inside the sack on the teste with no signs of external damage or pain.) I don't know how long it's been this way, usually I check for lumps but this time I felt this, I want to compare it to an absess, but I have no clue if it has anything in common with an absess other then a lack of material compared to the surrounding area. Thoughts?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Testicle Problems

Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question here.

I do not believe that there is really a problem to be worried. The concern about testes of course is always cancer. The first sign of cancer of the testes is usually pain and then, on examination, a palpable lump. You say nothing about either.

Go to a doctor if you feel you need more reassurance but in the meantime I would not lose a night's sleep over it! There is no such thing as an abscess of a testicle. The anatomy and configuration within the scrotum varies enormously. I speak from the experience of thousands of examinations. You will be fine.

Good luck.