Injured foot, immediate pain, minimal swelling, no bruising. Hurts to walk. Normal X-ray. What is going on?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I injured my foot sliding into a base playing softball 6 weeks ago. There was immediate pain on the top of my foot, but minimal swelling and no bruising. It hurt to walk on it, but I figured I just sprained it a little and that it would get better over time. After 5 weeks when I still was experiencing pain, I went to my GP. Regular X-rays were normal. My GP doesn't seem interested in pursuing further testing and just gave me a prescription for an anti-inflammatory. I still can't run on it and it bothers me if I stand or walk on it for prolonged periods of time. I'm afraid to try to play softball again if it may cause further harm. Do simple sprains take this long to heal or is something else possibly going on? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 19 hours later

Thanks for writing in,

Sprains (depending upon the grade) with adequate rest & crepe bandage or with plaster cast immobilisation usually heal within 3-5 weeks. Inadequate immobilisation in any means can delay the healing of sprained ligaments.

If there is/are minor undisplaced fractures of your small bones of foot, then the pain might persist, till the fracture starts healing. Again for a fracture to start healing, it needs immobilisation for 3-4 weeks in any means.

If possible, I would like to see the x-rays of your foot / ankle. Till then I would suggest you to
1. Use crepe bandage if swelling is there,
2. Non-weight bearing walking using walking stick or support or walkers for 3 weeks.

A CT scan of your foot/Ankle will help us rule-out hairline fractures if X-rays are not revealing any & pain persists.

P.S: You can upload X-rays / reports using the site's uploader available on this webpage.

Follow-up: Injured foot, immediate pain, minimal swelling, no bruising. Hurts to walk. Normal X-ray. What is going on? 9 hours later
Dr Panneer

I uploaded 2 images, the first is non-weight bearing and the second is weight bearing.

Thank you again

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 1 hour later

Thanks for writing in,

I saw your X-rays. It seems to be soft-tissue injury-probably a sprain. A CT-scan of foot will be helpful in ruling out any bony injuries. Till that time I would suggest you to give strict rest to the foot for atleast 3 weeks by using a brace/cast. Non-weight bearing walking can be done using sticks or walkers.

Follow-up: Injured foot, immediate pain, minimal swelling, no bruising. Hurts to walk. Normal X-ray. What is going on? 5 hours later
Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sathyadharan Panneer 3 hours later
Get well soon.