Injured foot. Have swelling, turned black and blue. X-ray showed broken bone. Will it heal by itself or surgery required?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I fell and injured my foot 1 month ago. It got swollen, turned black and blue and was tender to the touch. I did not visit a clinic to get it checked. I kept it elevated and tried not to move it. It seemed to be getting better. Pain was getting better. Yesterday same foot got injured by a slammed car door. I went to a local clinic to have it checked this time. They performed xray and they say it shows a definite broken bone and a possible second broken bone. They put my foot in a boot and gave me crutches. They then referred me to an orthopedist. I have no insurance so before I have to pay out of pocket I'd like to know if you can determine from the xray images attached if it is a hairline fracture that will heal by its own by having my foot immobilized for a 4-6 weeks or if you think it will need extra care like surgery and or therapy. Thanks for your help.
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 26 minutes later
I have seen the X-rays attached. There is a minor hair line undisplaced fracture seen. This does not need any surgical treatment.
The fracture is likely to heal with proper immobilization for 6 weeks. Avoid weight bearing on the foot as much as possible.
To make your fractured bone heal faster, dietary modifications and some lifestyle changes do play an important role.

1. You need to abstain from alcohol and smoking, avoid caffeine - tea, coffee, colas. Take calcium and vitamin D3 supplements.
2. You need to give adequate rest and immobilization of the affected foot for a faster healing. Constant movement causes mild displacement of fractured fragments thus delaying the healing.
3. The foods you need to take include yogurt, milk, dry fruits- dates & almonds, apples, soybean, broccoli, red grapes, peanuts, oatmeal and sesame seeds.
4. Lysine, Boron, Zinc, Vitamin C and Vitamin K supplements do also play a major role in bone healing along with calcium and Vitamin D3. You can add a multimineral supplement to your daily routine.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.