Ingrown hair appeared at the base of penis. Developed swelling after rubbing it. Any remedy?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Four days ago, I noticed what appeared to be an ingrown hair at the base (underside) of my penis. **Where the penis meets the scrotum*** I mashed the area with my fingers (like a zit) pretty hard.
Day 1: Swelling - spikey pain feeling in center of the area.
Day 2: Swelling - less pain - more swelling - like two peas side by side under the skin.
Day 3: Swelling - no pain.
Day 4: Swelling - no pain.
I fear that I may have herniated something. The area is reddish, but not overly discolored as a busted blood vessel would be. Please advise.
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed a boil - staphylococcal infection of hair follicle.

You may need to take some antibiotic like doxycycline along with antiinflammatory medicine like diclofenac. Your family physician will know about these medications. You can get it prescribed by them.

In the meantime, ensure to clean the area with warm water. Monitor the progress. In case if it bursts and drains pus you may need to get it incised and drained properly by a surgeon.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions I shall be happy to help you.

Dr.Patil