Inflamed muscles, stiffness in back. Diagnosed with baker's cyst. Took anti-inflammatory, did hot fomentation. Suggest something

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014
Good

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
I have been suffering from Baker's Cyst for the last 8 months. Inspite of antinflammatory, did not get better. I stpped swimming or playing too.

1 month back I did hot fomentation for 10-14 days. Seems muscles have inflammed more & stiffness at the back has increased. Is fomentatin the cause of enhanced problem?

Thanks.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 30 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX

For baker's cyst you have to follow principle of R.I.C.E. Rest your leg. Ice the inflamed area. Compress your knee with a wrap, sleeve or brace. And elevate your leg when possible, especially at night.

Doing hot fomatation can increase the already inflammed muscle.So I suggest you to ice the affected area to reduce the inflammation.

Gentle range-of-motion and strengthening exercises for the muscles around your knee also may help to reduce your symptoms and preserve knee function.
Best exercises to reduce swelling due to bakers cyst-
*Knee Bend to Straighten
Bend and straighten your knee as far as possible without increasing your pain. This helps to restore your normal knee movement. Repeat 20 times.
*Static Quadriceps Contraction
Tighten the muscle at the front of your thigh (quadriceps) by pushing your knee down into a towel . Put your fingers on your inner quadriceps to feel the muscle tighten during contraction. Hold for 5 seconds and repeat 10 times as hard as possible without increasing your symptoms.

With good physiotherapy Backer's cyst can heal well. So regular do these exercises.

Hope this helps you.Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Inflamed muscles, stiffness in back. Diagnosed with baker's cyst. Took anti-inflammatory, did hot fomentation. Suggest something 24 hours later
I have been doing these raise & bend of leg off & on. Anyway I shall do the exercises advised more regularly. Will going to physiotherapist help? Please tell.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 40 minutes later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

Going to a physiotherapist will help you.Learn these exercises more precisely under his/her guidance and do regularly at home.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.

Follow-up: Inflamed muscles, stiffness in back. Diagnosed with baker's cyst. Took anti-inflammatory, did hot fomentation. Suggest something 20 hours later
My last question please:

What could be cause of this problem so sudden? I had been regular in swimming last summer & realized this pain in August '12.
Also can I start doing swimming again gently if I feel better.

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 6 hours later
Hello and Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for writing back.

Might be due to osteoarthritis,wear and tear of joint as a aging process, which causes the knee to produce too much fluid, which may lead to a Baker's cyst.

You can start doing swimming again , in fact it is good for your back and knees.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.