Inferior deep cervical glands swollen. Normal?

Question
My inferior XXXXXXX cervical glands are swollen and have been for about three weeks. Is this something that I should be concerned about?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 25 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

How are you sure about XXXXXXX cervical gland swelling? Most of the times the physicians miss locating it? If you are sure and if your physician has told you about them, which of the groups XXXXXXX cervical lymph glands are enlarged is also important.

Yes, XXXXXXX cervical gland swelling for 3 weeks is concerning at this age, needs evaluation by a physician. Serial examination to check for size, consistency and number is required along with examination of their draining sites.

It helps to know whether you had fever, any problems like sinusitis, dental problems, aphthous ulcers? Please consult a physician nearby.

Hope this helps you. I will be available for you follow ups.

Follow-up: Inferior deep cervical glands swollen. Normal? 1 hour later
Thanks for your answer. I haven't been to a doctor yet. I noticed the swelling in that area about 3 weeks ago & have kept a check on it. It is swollen on both sides with the left side swollen more. I looked online to see if there were glands in that area & saw on a chart of glands that inferior XXXXXXX cervical glands is in the area that is swollen.

I don't think I've had fever, not sure what the symthoms are for sinuitis are. I have had dental issues to the point that I think I may have to have get dentures (I still have my teeth with crowns & bridges which are quite expensive). I think I've had gum issues that have affected my teeth.

What are aphthous ulcers?

Thanks again for your time!

Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 47 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back to us.

What you were checking are superficial cervical nodes.

Seems like your teeth and gum problem is causing glands swelling, but to confirm if its glands for sure, please visit a physician at the earliest who after evaluating your condition may prescribe some antibiotics and refer to a dentist.

Infection in the teeth or gums or infected stress ulcers in the mouth ( known as aphthous ulcers) commonly cause swelling of the lymph glands in the neck.

Sinusitis will have symptoms of fever, headache and tenderness over the sinuses, which is worst early in the morning, which seems unlikely in your case.

Hope this helps you, Take care.

Follow-up: Inferior deep cervical glands swollen. Normal? 2 hours later
I have migraine headaches, waking up with them sometimes & I take Relpax for that. Although sometimes it does seem I experience the tenderness over the sinuses & brow.

I will make an appointment with my regular physician as soon as possible. I do appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

Thanks again!
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jayasukrutamma D N 15 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

You are most welcome, Please feel free to write back to us if the need arise again.

Wish you a very good Health and a great weekend.