Infants weight consistent, wrist bones chuckle. Calcium D prescribed. Is that sufficient?

Hi, My son is 23 months old. his weight is consitent since last one year - around 10 kgs, He is now learning to stand & walk with a help. His wrist bones chuckle when we give him a hand. We are 100% vegetarians, but do take milk & milk products. A doctor recommended him calcium D 3 months ago back & did that complete medicine course. Pls. be kind to advise me for his good health.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

The described symptoms are suggestive of rickets. Discuss with your pediatrician to confirm the diagnosis.

In such cases, I feel taking only 8 sachets of vitamin D3 is not sufficient as he has widening of wrists.

You must continue giving him calcium supplements and Vitamin D3 sachets for at least six months and go for follow up visit to his pediatrician every month so that his improvement after treatment can be monitored. In addition, adequate exposure to sunlight along with a calcium XXXXXXX diet is also needed.

Please visit his pediatrician for adequate treatment for his normal growth and development.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.