Infant with wheezing. Prescribed with Duolin nebulisation. Is it safe in infants?

My 22 month old son has wheezing - I am not sure of the intensity. A doctor we visited recommended locally asked us to put him on Duolin nebulization three times daily for 8 days. I just read the Cipla literature on Duolin and it mentions that the safety and effectiveness in children below 12 year olds has not been established

Will it be safe if I defer the nebulisation till tomorrow morning when I can get a second opinion from another doctor?

Thanks for your reply in advance
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 5 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I am glad that you are willing and careful enough to read details on any medicine you use. Its a good habit to be safe.

Most of the medicines used for children are unlikely to have established safety and effectiveness in children. Proving safety and effectiveness of a drug on a child needs to put a group of children through these medicines to study its effects, Children being vulnerable and minors, such studies are not easy to perform. This however doesnot mean that this medicine may be safe. Per se, no medicine can be safe, but used therapeutically benefit of a medicine may be 100 times more than the chance damage it may cause.

So when a doctor writes prescription, the doctor is at a risk of weighing the probable benefits and harms with respect to any medicines and accordingly he/she may prescribe the same. When you are trying to save a life, risks with medicines prove much less compared to risk without using it.

Your son may be suffering from wheezing, that's why the doctor has suggested the above medicine.

Nebulised medicines are much much safer than syrup medicines that will have effect on all body parts when action is desired only in airways.

Also the dose of nebulised medicines may be 10-100 times smaller than syrup doses. Usually the wheezes that need duolin respules have more noisy breathing at morning or night than through out day. Cough is likely to be present through out day and night that's why, the medicine is started 3 times a day.

So it may be safer to continue with nebulisation than skipping it overnight. Wheezes with fever may not respond fast with the nebulisation.

I hope this answers your query. If so please accept the answer, any further queries are welcome.

Wishing your son a speedy recovery.