Infant with loose greenish stools during breastfeeding cessation. Is this an infection?

My 5+ month old son is passing stool after every feed which is semi loose, mucus, greenish with bubbles. He is on exclusive breast feed but since two days he had boiled water in bottle and also milK expressed via breast pump so that I can resume next week. I'm just worried if he has any infection or if its normal. Btw his poop color has always been greenish yellow. Thanks in advance for clarifying.
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 7 hours later

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

An infant nurses frequently during both day and night, anywhere from 8 to 12 times in a 24 hour period. While shifting from exclusive breast feeding to weaning it will take several days for your body to adjust to the loss of the breastfeeding session. Cut out one breastfeeding session a day, offering formula/ boiled water.

Regarding the bottle feeding, the bottle must be thoroughly washed and sterilized after every use. This should be done to keep away from germs. Wash away the leftover milk because it can result in the breeding of bacteria.

The symptoms mentioned can occur when shifting from exclusive breast feeding to weaning. As you have mentioned it is semisolid greenish yellow stool, presently no problem as baby might take few days to adjust.

I advise you to keep watch on the stool if it is only greenish (greenish yellow is normal), hard it will be good if you see child specialist.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.