Infant with hemangiomas on neck and face and mottling over half of the face. Pulse is fine. Will it cure?

My Grand daughter is 14 months. She was born with 5 hemangiomas on her neck, face and trunk and mottling on half of her face. They are slowly getting better. Also since birth, shes had mottling on her trunk and legs when temperature changes, like in a bath. When her legs are hanging, like in a jump up, or when carrying, they become reddish purple, with white bumps all over.

Her pediatrician says her pulse in her hips are fine. I've noticed lately that on her right leg, it has the reddish/purple appearance almost all the time. It doesn't appear to have any size difference from the left leg. Is this something that will fade with time?
Posted Fri, 3 Aug 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 hours later

Thank you for contacting Healthcare Magic.

Hemangiomas are known to increase in size in the first year of life and then regress or remain constant in size. Depending on their size, location and appearance suitable management is undertaken. As you have rightly mentioned "they are slowly getting better" it appears they are regressing in size and should improve further.

The mottling that you mention over half of her face, trunk and legs and their change with temperature appear to be increased blood vessels in the region. It will be clearer by a clinical examination. As the child's pediatirician says that the pulses (femoral region) in the hip are normal then nothing seems to be amiss and you be rest assured that with passage of time they should fade away.

Nevertheless it is better to take a dermatological opinion.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. I am always available to clear any doubts.

Wishing your grand-daughter and you all the best