Infant with blood filled boil on the head. Concerned

Pediatrician
Question
Yes pls. My 2 month old baby started developing what started as a boil on her head but grew and became hard without pain. A cross incision was done on it but no pus came out of it just dark blood and it still hasn't gone down it looks fleshy don't no wat to do. I have been taking her for dressing of the opened growth.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 1 hour later
Hi dear,
Thanks for your query to health care magic.
From your history of progressive swelling with dark blood after incision, probably it is a hemangioma which is a fleshy tangle of blood vessels. Hemangiomas initially grows may be till one year of age and then starts regressing. Mostly it is not a cause of concern. But however a direct observation by a good physician is needed to confirm it as hemangioma. If in doubt of some other diagnosis a biopsy might be needed.
Don't worry she will be alright. Keep continuing the dressing and let the open wound heal.
If you have any other queries I am happy to help you or else close the query and kindly rate it.

Dr. Balaji CHinnasami MD
Assistant Professor Pediatrics

Follow-up: Infant with blood filled boil on the head. Concerned 30 minutes later
Well I am continuing with the dressing but my concern is the doctors say maybe the paediatric surgeon might perform a surgery to flatten the grown as it is not regressing. My concern is she is just 2 months old and the growth started about 3 weeks ago, and the cross incision was done a week ago.The growth is right on her head. It started as a little boil it was soft and had a mouth but suddenly became bigger nd dried up.

Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 10 hours later
Hi dear,
Thanks for giving more details about your baby's condition. Pediatric surgeon will do surgery only if it is really needed. And its probably not a major surgery like abdominal surgery to be worried about. Its a small procedure and perfectly safe. Discuss with your doctor about sending the operated specimen for biopsy if they are not sure of the diagnosis. Don't worry its 99% not a cancer, its probably a harmless fleshy mass like hemangioma which will be gone after the procedure. Your daughter is going to be fine very soon.

Dr. Balaji CHinnasami MD
Assistant Professor Pediatrics