Infant spits all solid food. On liquids, porridge. Has cold. On amoxicillin. What is wrong?

Question
Dear Dr, My 1 year old son is refusing to take solids for the last 7 to 10 days and especially during last 2-3 days he's just spitting whatever we are giving. I am much concerned on this and also very much depressed.. earlier he love to eat but now he's not at all taking solids also fruits. We are just giving liquids like milk, ragi porridge, rice porridge.. Could you please help me out? Also he's having cold and we are giving Amoxcillin for the last 5 days. When we can start giving dry fruits & nuts to him? Thanks a lot
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Parenting

Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

Normally when babies are not well with cold, fever or stomach pain they eat very poorly. It is sufficient that he is drinking liquids well. He might be having throat pain or irritation in the throat that is maybe making it painful to swallow. This is similar in us adults too.

If his appetite does not pick up after his cold has gone, then you might need to show to a doctor, else he seems ok. You can give him Zincovit drops; this will give him some energy and required vitamins in his diet.

You can give him dry fruits now since he is 1 year of age; let him start with cashews and raisins.

Do not worry, these are all part of a child's growing up. Continue giving him enough fluids, soups and milk .Fruits might cause his cold to increase too, so avoid for few days.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow ups. Please accept my answer if you have no follow ups.

Follow-up: Infant spits all solid food. On liquids, porridge. Has cold. On amoxicillin. What is wrong? 1 hour later
Thank you so much Dr for your kind response. He's having cold for the past 7-8 days and we are giving Novomox syrup for past 5 days. Would it take more time to cure? During nights he got congested so we had given Nasivion pediatric for the past 2 days.. is it ok? Any other home remedy we can do?

Vitamin supplement - until which age we can give? Unfortunately we had stopped giving for the past 10 days :( and surely will start from today

Hope banana also aggravates cold?

Answered by Dr. Radhika 13 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.

Novomox is a good medication.Cold will generally remain for 5 to 10 days.Continue with the doctors advice and dosage.Nasovion Pediatric can be continued.

If congestion is severe you can start with steam inhalation at home using a steam inhalator which is available in medical shops.Add vicks or menthol drops in it.If he refuses it you can try nebulisation in a nursing home.Do this at least 2 to 3 times.You can give vitamin supplement to a child as long as desired, as there are no ill effects in multivitamins.

Banana,custard XXXXXXX chikoo will cause cold.You can give him papaya and XXXXXXX (not kept in fridge).

Follow-up: Infant spits all solid food. On liquids, porridge. Has cold. On amoxicillin. What is wrong? 2 days later
Thanks a lot Dr.

We had given Novamox for 5-6 days and stopped since it was recommended only for 5 days. (Some dosage had been missed when he was asleep)

For the last 3 days, we are not giving any medication for cold. Is it ok? Now he's having some cold and thick phlegm is coming via nostrils. Only during sleep, he's having difficulty due to congestion. will try for the steam inhaler.

Thanks & Regards,
Uma

Answered by Dr. Radhika 23 hours later

Thanks for the follow up and appreciation. Whatever dosage you have missed for novamox you can give it now. Also do continue the cold medications till it reduces and also take steam inhalation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have no more follow ups please accept my answer.

Thanks and regards.