Infant refusing to breast milk, not responding to colicaid. On antibiotic drops. Is this causing it?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter's date of birth is 28Nov2011(38 days old)
After every round of breast feed we try to make her burrp for 10-15 minutes(sometimes she gets sometimes she does not)
During nights when she gets breastfeed we have observed that she inhales a lot of air as a result of which she cries a lot for hours(she loses some weight when she cries) and does not take the breast feed(does not suck).Even if we try to put colicaid she settles down sometimes but now a days she does not respond at times to colicaid,
She has been prescribed an antibiotic drops(sporitex for 3 days starting yesterday, 3 times a day each time 0.5 ml) by our paediatrician, Is this causing it?

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Infants less than five months commonly have such gaseous distension and colic problem. It usually responds to medications like colicaid or neopeptine drops which aid in digestion. If there is significant distress and absolutely no relief from both the mentioned medicines then colimex drops can be given but they are best avoided in such small infants less than six months.

It's very common to get gastric upset with antibiotics but the effects decrease and stop in a week after course completion.

It's not mentioned why your baby is on antibiotic drops; sporidex being cephalexin, a broad spectrum antibiotic can cause gastro intestinal side effects. I assume your pediatrician has checked for bacterial gastroenteritis or upper respiratory infection or fever before prescribing it. If yes, then relax, the colic may resolve once the antibiotics are completed and stopped.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.