Infant passing stool with clear mucus and blood in it. What could this be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i just found clear mucus with blood in 18 month olds wet nappy what could it be?
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 minutes later
The appearance of blood and mucus in a baby's diaper can be frightening for parents. Most cases of blood and mucus are harmless to the baby and either go away on their own or are easily corrected.
The presence of clear mucus with blood can be due to a food allergy, intestinal infection, colitis, etc. Most of the times the cause is self limiting and it goes away on its own. You need to self monitor the stools of your baby for any recurrence of bleeding or mucoid discharge. In case she is poorly feeding and is not active then do consult her pediatrician for a detailed examination and treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Infant passing stool with clear mucus and blood in it. What could this be? 8 hours later
Thanks but the mucus was not in stool but by itself in her nappy. there was no sign of stools. could it be from her vagina? thanks
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Mild amount of mucoid discharge can happen from vagina too which is a normal finding and is not worrisome. The mild blood streak in that case may be related to the hormonal changes due to any hormonal medicines her mother might have been taking. This effect is usually self limiting and does not need any treatment.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Infant passing stool with clear mucus and blood in it. What could this be? 3 hours later
Thanks but i havent breastfed her for 6 months and have never taken any hormonal mdicines. so what could it be thanks?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
In that case, if the bleeding is recurrent then vaginal infection needs to be ruled out after a physical examination and if necessary swab culture.