Infant is having fever, loose motion and slight cold. How to cure it?

Feb 2013

My 4 month old daughter is having fever loose motion and slight cold
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 2 hours later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Your child seems having an viral illness with diarrhea and cold.

For fever, you can give paracetamol drops in prescribed dose every 8th hourly depending on the presence of fever.

The mainstay of treatment in loose motions is to maintain the hydration status of the child.

Breastfeeds to be given frequently to XXXXXXX the thirst of the child.

Give sips of oral rehydration solutions like Pedialyte to maintain the hydration.

Monitor her hydration by activity, urine output, skin turgor, and moisture of tongue and oral cavity.

Probiotics like saccharomyces boulardi or lactobacillus XXXXXXX once daily for 3 to 5 days and oral zinc for 2 weeks can be started after pediatrician consultation to improve gut homeostasis.

For cold, oral drops like chlorpheniramine maleate in prescribed dose, and for nose block saline nasal drops 1or 2 to be put into each nostril to clear the nasal passages for easy breathing, especially before feeding and sleeping.

Therefore consult the pediatrician for physical assessment and prescription of medication.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.