Infant having runny nose and mild fever. Given paracetamol. What precaution should be taken?

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Dear Doctor,
My 15 month old son has running nose for last 1 week. He developed mild fever also last week (100 degrees, which cured with 2 doses of paracetamal at 10 hours interval). But the running nose is continuing even now. (In between we got him his MMR vaccination also) Is there any specific precautions to be taken, we have not given any medicines yet, Should we be giving medicines because it is already one week? Please suggest any food or lifestyle changes if needed. (He is eating well and sleeping well and otherwise a healthy child)
Posted Mon, 28 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 6 hours later

Thanks for the query. Running nose with mild fever suggests upper respiratory infection. As it is not followed by MMR vaccine, it is not due to the vaccine.

You had mentioned that he has no known allergy.
-Does any member of your family has any known allergy ?
-Is this the first episode or did he have similar complaints previously ?
-Does he develop reddish skin rashes intermittently ?
If yes, then he should be followed closely for any allergic disorder. If not, then no need to worry. He may be given antihistamine syrup after consulting your doctor. Most of the viral rhinitis resolve spontaneously within 7-10 days.

If his nose is getting blocked by dry secretions, then use nasal saline drops 4-5 times per day.
As he is eating and playing well, no specific change in diet is required.
If there is any evidence of under nutrition, change in diet may be needed.

Give him plenty of water to drink. Plenty of fruits and vegetables will help to improve the immunity.

I hope this answers your query. I am available to answer your further queries.