Infant having frequent urination and unable to sleep properly. On lactogen. What should I do?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
this is Dr XXXXXXX my baby is 7 weeks old presently she weighs 3.5 kg,her birth weight was 3.4kg,she passes urine 10 to 12 times daily,n stool once in 2 days,she feeds continuosly during day time,and hardly sleeps,my doctor examined her and said its due to breastmilk inadequacy,now she has been put on lactogen,im on lactogauges, she doesnt take lactogen,kindly pls help me what to do,i want to give her exclusive breastfeed,not happy with formula feeds
Posted Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

I understand and appreciate your eagerness to breast feed the baby.
Of course it is the best ,to be given alone up to 6 months at least!

Your baby has just put on 100 gms weight in 3 weeks.
This along with constipation suggests inadequate intake definitely.

The ways to increase your supply will be the following as you know.

1- complete emptying of the breast during feeding.
Start with rt breast and then continue with left breast. Next time start with left side and then carry on with rt.

2- frequent suckling which will stimulate let down reflex

3- you take plenty of fluids and milk.
4- lactare is a herbal preparation.- do not know how much it helps.

If by all the means ,your milk is not enough then you have no other go!!!!
If milk is enough the baby should pass at least 2-3 semi soft yellowish stools per day.

If the baby does not like lactogen you have other alternatives like enfamil,etc.
Keep on trying !
Do not give up hope.

Good luck
God bless
Dr Uma
Follow-up: Infant having frequent urination and unable to sleep properly. On lactogen. What should I do? 11 hours later
hello baby has gained 500grm in a month,she was 3.5kg at birth,on nov 11th weight was 3kg and on dec 11th it still insufficient?and how safe is lactogen?as im giving my baby my breastfeed and lactogen both
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 46 minutes later

Regaining birth weight by 3 weeks is normal.

After that weight increase should be more than 25-30 grams per day on average.

Stools nature I already mentioned.
Urine should not be concentrated and smelly.( which is an indirect evidence of inadequate milk)
Baby sleeps for 1.5 . To 2 hrs after feeds is another god sign.

Try your best with breast feeds.
Otherwise Lactogen is absolutely no problem.
Do not worry.

Good luck