Infant has swelling on neck near ear and chin. Rashes on face and head. What would it be?

My son is 2 months old.. there is swelling on his left side of neck near his ear and chin... wahat it would be? checked with my child doctor... She said there is nothing to worry, it might be due to his rashes on the faces and his head. can u also clarify me?
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 30 minutes later
Hello there,

Thanks for writing in.

I would like to have some additional details:

Is it a single swelling or is it like a lot of small projections/ rashes?
Any history of fever associated with this swelling?
Since when did you first notice the swelling? Has it been present since birth?
Has the swelling increased in size from when you first noticed it?
Would it be possible to upload a picture of the swelling?

Most of the times neck swellings might be due to cysts or lymph nodes in paediatric age group and might be harmless.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan
Follow-up: Infant has swelling on neck near ear and chin. Rashes on face and head. What would it be? 9 minutes later
Thanks for your Reply Dr.

Just noticed this morning. Havnt noticed it before. No fever.. He had his 2 month vaccination 3 days before. But i think there is no any pain in it. It is swelling from his ear to his cheek till his above neck.
Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 6 hours later
Thanks for writing back.

In the absence of pain, excessive crying, fever etc, infection( or inflammation) can be ruled out ( from the history you just provided)

I would be in a better position to comment further if I could see an image of this swelling. Would it be possible for you to upload the image on to the site. If you are not able to do it, you can mail it to me at YYYY@YYYY .