Infant has dry skin after waking up from sleep. Normal?

my daughter is just 2 months ols but thing is that she got a dry skin, her face become very dry when she gotes up after a sleep.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Dry Skin
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 30 minutes later

I can understand your concern for your daughter. Skin of infants is very delicate and can easily get dry. Also dry outdoor air and indoor heating can XXXXXXX skin of its natural moisture in the winter.

Follow the following measures to tackle dry skin in babies.

1)     Before giving a bath, massage your baby’s skin gently with a baby oil or olive oil.

2)     Cut bath time down to about ten minutes. Use warm water, not hot water and soap up sparingly.

3)     You can use mild soap or cleanser when your child washes, such as Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser, Dove Sensitive Skin Body Wash or Johnson’s baby wash.

4)     After bathing, apply moisturizers while your child's skin is still a little wet to help trap in some moisture, which means trying to apply the moisturizer within two or three minutes after your child washes.

5)     Use a non-alcohol-based moisturizer, such as Aquaphor Baby Healing Ointment, Johnson’s baby cream or Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream.

6)     If the air in your home is dry, use a cool mist humidifier in your baby's room.

7)     Also ensure that she should wear cotton clothing and use cotton sheets and blankets. Synthetic materials are irritating to the skin.

8) Reapply moisturizers at least two or three times a day.

If the dry skin persists then topical steroids are needed which should be used only under prescription. In that case, eczema also has to be ruled out.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.