Infant has bad diet, does not consume food on time. What can be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My Child is 11 month old & his diet is not so good, he do not take food timely
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Growth and Development in Children
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Most children are picky eaters at this age and its a very common problem.
If the childs nutritional requirements are not met and his growth is affected only then some action is needed.
I would be able to guide you in a better way if you can provide me with following details,
1.Details of the diet, timings , quantity (approximately) .
2.Whether any problems in sleep, bowel movements, any teething issues, whether vaccinated adequately.
3.His weight ,height and some milestones(whether walks, stands etc)
4.whether tested or examined by any doctor, any reports if available.
Kindly get back to me with the answers as per feasibility and I will try my best to guide you further.
Awaiting your response.
Follow-up: Infant has bad diet, does not consume food on time. What can be done? 26 hours later
Thanks for the response
1. We gives him diet usuly 3 times a day. & the quantity approx. 15-20 Tbs.
2. There is no such sleeping problem but in day time sleep only for Avg. 30Min in interval of 3-4 Hrs. His 4 front teeth has been come.
3. His weight is 9-11 Kg. & height is 68 CMs approx. He can stand & walk by support.

Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Your childs weight , growth and development are within the normal range.
However his diet is poor.
At one year a child can have the following diet .
1 .Milk atleast 400 ml daily divided in two to three times in a day eg.morning , late afternoon, & at bedtime.If child is breastfeeding, continue the same but introduce cows milk after one year .
2.Early morning breakfast of cereals, upma, or any homemade preparation or readymade cereals.
3.Afternoon lunch containing dal rice khicchdi with XXXXXXX vegetables like spinach, minimal salt and no spices.Or chappati mashed in dal etc.
4 evening some biscuits or fruits like mashed bananas, chickoo or boiled or grinded apples or milkshake.
5 dinner same as lunch including vegetables like carrots, XXXXXXX peas , potatoes etc.
The quantity may be less but do try to offer a variety of foods and at frequent intervals (3 hours or so ).
Since your child is 11 mth old, you may try to start such a diet gradually and not suddenly on one single day.Children do make a lot of fuss about eating but if you make it a habbit to give regular nutritious diet then they learn to eat well.
Try to introduce new foods one at a day and watch for his likes dislikes and digestibility.
Hope that answers your query.