Infant had BG vaccination. Got dark red, swollen and small white scab on it. Is this normal?

Hi there,

My 5 month old daughter had a BG vaccination about 6 weeks ago. Over the last few days it has got dark red and swollen and a small white scab on it. Today after her bath she knocked the top off it and it oozed pus and blood and it now has a small hoel where the scab was. I wiped it clean of the pus and blood and put a cool cloth on it to reduce the swelling.

Is this normal / ok?
Is it going to cause a bigger scar than normal?
What is the best thing to do from here - jsut keep it clean and as dry as possible and alow it to air?

Any other suggestions?

Thank you
Posted Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Vaccinations
Answered by Dr. Sumitra Kumar Mukherjee 2 hours later
What your daughter has got is a localized complication of vaccination. It includes a hypersensitivity reaction which most commonly happens due to accidental injection in the skin.(Intra cutaneous injection)
It may lead to abscess formation and some times swelling of adjoining lymph glands.(Lymphadenopathy). While this is not a normal condition, it usually does take care of itself. Regarding the scar, an abscess usually does heal with fibrosis and its possible that the scar is bigger.
As to what needs to be done, please consult a pediatrician who can give your child a course of antibiotics to take care of this. Rarely, we may also need to surgically drain the abscess.
Let me know if you have any more questions.
Kindest regards