Infant crying incessantly. What could be the cause?

I have 2 months and 8 days old baby boy ... Nd after 8 or 8:30 pm he is crying atlst an hour ...
Kindly advice
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Balaji Chinnasami 23 minutes later

I am really concerned that your child is crying incessantly.

Your baby is probably suffering from infantile colic. Crying for hours for atleast three days a week and for more than three weeks is called infantile colic. You need to show your kid to pediatrician to rule out other serious conditions. But trust me, as long as your child is feeding well and gaining weight well (approx. 250gm/2wks), this excessive crying need not be a cause for concern. But it’s difficult for any parent to see his baby cry for hours together, similarly difficult for any doctor as there is no effective treatment available.

Simethicone preparations can be administered after doctor's prescription. Avoid bottle-feeding, homemade remedies, gripe water etc. Take the baby out for a ride, gentle soothing motions, avoiding overstimulation will help a good deal.

Don't worry. It’s a phase; usually babies overgrow and become happy babies.

Take care,
Dr. Balaji Chinnasami