Increased hair fall in areas where Mintop is used. Is this because of irregular usage?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2012
Jul 2012
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Hi doc. I am 30 yr male and using mintop 10 irregularly for last few months. Now the hair fall has increased especially at the areas where I apply mintop. Is this because of irregular usage. Should I continue or stop mintop? Plz advise how to stop balding forehead.

Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 8 hours later
Hi there. Mintop is a minoxidil base. It is at best a temporary solution that encourages the growth of telogen (sleeping or dormant hairs). As such over a period of time, these will fall & then one is back to square one. You may continue it in the interim. However, I encourage you to consult a dermatologist nearest you, assess the hair growth pattern & plan on either using oral 1mg Finasteride tabs &/or go in for a follicular hair transplantation with a competent dermatologist. I do these procedures but will have to assess you in person & hail from Bangalore. I would be happy to suggest a competent colleague in your region. Cheers & feel free to post any queries should you require any further clarifications.
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Increased hair fall in areas where Mintop is used. Is this because of irregular usage? 17 minutes later
Sir. I wish to stick to Mintop 10 for time being as it came highly recommended by a doctor friend. Should I apply Mintop 2 times a day or only 1 time. And Plz also clarify my previous question that is it possible that mintop is not suiting me and causing increased hair fall as I have not been using regularly. Regards. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX
I did clarify your earlier question but perhaps it was not clear..NO mintop cannot be causing 'increased' hair fall simply because you have been not using it regularly or not suiting you unless you notice some sort of reaction with redness of scalp & itching which you do not state..so it does not seem to be an issue. Please apply it TWO times a day on dry scalp.
Also if you note, i did not suggest 'stopping' it. I suggested 'continuing it in the interim' till you find a better suited alternative or 'add' onto the existing mintop therapy.
Best Regards,
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD

Follow-up: Increased hair fall in areas where Mintop is used. Is this because of irregular usage? 3 minutes later
Dear Doc. Thanks a lot for your time and suggestions. Kind regards. XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 15 minutes later
You are most welcome XXXXXXX Do me a teeny favour & please close the discussion as technology being what it is, even a thank you generates a 'follow-up' message :) & do provide a feedback if time permits. My regds. to the Doctor friend you hold in high regard too. Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues