Increased elbow pain and hand numbness. Why do fingers tingle? Why does elbow area burn?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I sit at a desk all day. My pain has been apparent the last month. I have increased elbow pain and irritation of the outer bone. The discomfort level is mild and often times shoots down my forearm. I usually wake up several times at night with numb and tingling fingers (pinky and ring). I experience the numbness on my right hand...which makes sense because I am a right handed.
If I press on the outer bone or just below it (it moves around) i can feel the area of pain, shortly afterwards I get a pain between my ring and little finger knuckle area and a burning sensation on the elbow outer bone towards the rear area. This appears to irritate it
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 28 minutes later
From your description it seems that you are having inflammation of the tendons near the elbow which has involved ulnar nerve causing numbness and tingling. Most commonly it is caused by a tennis elbow or cubital tunnel syndrome.
Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand muscle.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your arm and elbow will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Wrist and forearm stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.