Impetigo, cold sore, oozy eyes, yellowish secretion

My 5 year old daughter has had a cold and what looked like a cold sore below her nose developed and I am pretty sure now it is impetigo-she had it once before. Today her eyes are oozy and crusty, with yellowish goo. Can impetigo get into the eye?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 39 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

The short answer to your question is yes - impetigo or more specifically the bacteria which causes impetigo can get into the eye and create an eye infection or conjunctivitis. This is generally treated with antibiotic drops or ointment applied to the eyes and possibly to the skin on the face where the original rash was noted.

In the meantime you can apply warm compressions to the eyes and skin of the face. It looks like an antibiotic will be needed in this case to help promote resolution of the infection.

I hope this reply has been adequate and informative for you. I am available for your follow ups if needed.