I'm a 53yo female in good health(aside from GERD )but

Gastroenterologist
Question
I'm a 53yo female in good health(aside from GERD)but have been experiencing a lot of palpitations over the last year or so. I've been worked up for symptoms of palpitations and chest pressure but all was negative. I still have palpitations and can feel my heartbeat in my ears at night when I lay down. Now I'm feeling an occasional "thumping" on the left side of my neck, like a heart beat. Should I be concerned or is this just a palpitation?
Posted Sun, 26 Nov 2017 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone very carefully through your query.
Most likely you are suffering from tinnitus.It is a ringing, hissing, clicking or buzzing sound which only you can hear.Most of the time its age related.
A CT scan or MRI of brain should be done to rule out pathology.
Pure tone audiometry should be done to test hearing.
Complete blood count should be done to rule out anemia.

Secondly for palpitations baseline tests to be done are-
2d echo
24 hour holter monitoring
Thumping in chest with radiation to neck can be palpitation.
As per the details given by you you have dine only Ekg which has no specific significance.

Careful and thorough investion of cardiac functions should be done to find exact cause.

Get yourself properly investigated and be happy.
Thanks!