IgA, IgG, IgM, EOS, vitamin D tests done. What does the test results indicate?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I just got some lab results back and need help understanding them. My IGg and IGa came back normal but my IGm came back low at 25 with a ref rage of 45 -270. MY EOS was high and Vit D low. I have history of Calcium being high one time then normal the next. What does all this mean and should I be concerned. I have had some issues with skin infection, swollen nodes, bones hurting and low back pain around kidney area.
Posted Sat, 23 Jun 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 4 hours later
Though it's difficult to point out an exact diagnosis without complete detailed clinical history and examination , I would like to explain you the possibilities of such reports.
Low Serum IgM can occur due to primary immunodeficiency disorder where the body fails to produce these proteins called immunoglobulins ( Ig)which fight against infections.
But they can be decreased secondarily by causes like immunosuppressant medicines, autoimmune disorders ( arthritis , lupus , skin disease etc) or malignancy.This csn be suspected especially if other immunoglobulins like IgA, IgG are normal .
EOS or eosinophils are white blood cells which can increase in body in response to allergy( asthma etc) , infection ( parasitic ) or autoimmune disorders.
Low vit D is not a very serious sign it usually occurs in people with less exposure to sunlight or skin/liver /kidney disorder .It can be easily reversed with oral or injectable vitamin D supplements.
Calcium is usually variable and unless very low or high not XXXXXXX
So considering your reports and your symptoms it's definitely something to be concerned and not to be neglected.
It could be a primary autoimmune disorder causing the different problems or some systemic infection or illness suppressing the immunity or you may be on medications which cause immunosuppression.
In any case when you mention nodes, bone pain, skin problems along with low immunoglobulin it's advisable to get a confirmed diagnosis by a clinical immunologist or infectious disease specialist or atleast your treating physician.
The doctor may or may not have to order some more investigations like CTScan , biopsies , serum immunoelectrophoresis , tests for autoantibodies etc before coming to a confirmed diagnosis.
The management of low vit D can be started right away with oral supplements however the overall management of the problem can only be done after confirming the diagnosis .
So the next best step would be to consult your doctor for a thorough evaluation and management .
Sometimes minor infections can give rise to such reports in which case a course of antibiotics may relieve the symptoms and further repeat testing after 3 mths may confirm normal levels .
So please don't worry but do get evaluated to be on the safer side.
Hope I have answered your query.