If the fetal measures 11 weeks in ultrasound, is it possible it is actually 15 weeks?

Question
Is it possible for an ultrasound at 11 weeks to be off 4 weeks? For example, if the baby measures 11 weeks, is it possible she is actually 15 weeks?
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible in case of fetal anomalies but rare.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for choosing XXXXXXX

The scan gestational age and patients last period date gestational age should correspond with each other. During first 12 weeks i.e first trimester scan there should not be more than 7 days variation between the two. If there is variation of more than 7 days in first trimester scan and more than 2 weeks in second trimester scan we usually take scan gestational age as final, and correspondingly calculate the EDD (expected date of delivery).

Now if such a condition of variation the reasons
variation in dating could be due to delayed conception(periods) or
wrong menstrual date or
rarely if associated with some anomaly.

Before I conclude anything, I usually take 2 scans and those 2 scans should be corresponding with each other.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow-ups. If you like my answers kindly rate it, and write a review as well. Please do not forget to accept it.
Thank you,
Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
You can consult me again directly through my profile
WWW.WWWW.WW

Follow-up: If the fetal measures 11 weeks in ultrasound, is it possible it is actually 15 weeks? 21 minutes later
Would a fetal anomaly be detected with serial ultrasounds? I am trying to figure out the possibility of paternity with ultrasounds. I know that ultrasounds do not determine paternity, but can they if the encounters were a month or more apart? I slept with someone late Jan18/early morning XXXXXXX 19 (1 time around 2am). Next partner was remainder of XXXXXXX - Feb. Went off birth control mid pack on Feb 1 and bled for 4 days starting Feb 5. 7 week abdominal ultrasound gave EDD 11/18. Ultrasound on 4/26 at 11 wks 3 days gave EDD 11/12 with CRL 45mm. Ultrasound on 5/15 at 14 wks 1 d gave EDD of 11/11 with CRL 82mm. 19 week US have EDD 11/12, 21 week US gave EDD 11/13, 27 week ultrasound gave EDD 11/12. What is the possibility that XXXXXXX 19 contributed to this pregnancy? Could she be a fetal anomaly, therefore just measuring small & making XXXXXXX 19 a possiblity for conception?

Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Conception in Feb, and EDD will be 18th Nov

Detailed Answer:
Fetal anomaly can be picked up at around 18-20weeks scan.
Its impossible to find out the paternity using ultrasound.
After analyzing all your scan report EDD and considering your last period in Feb, I can strongly say your probable time of conception might be in Feb. And considering your last menstrual period, your EDD will be 18 November 2013. Its highly unlikely that you will be pregnant in January.
First trimester scan are considered as excellent dating, hence your EDD will be 18th Nov, as the pregnancy advances the gestational age does not correspond.
If you do not have any further clarification you can close the discussion. Kindly rate & review my answer. Wish you good health.
Dr Arif
WWW.WWWW.WW