If a person was to take oral liposomal acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, NADH, Glutathione and Arginine, would this promote acetaldehyde breakdown?

Hello, if a person was to take oral liposomal acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, NADH, Glutathione and Arginine, would this promote acetaldehyde breakdown? And if not, what would?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 21 hours later

As such, acetaldehyde is broken down in our body to acetic acid by an enzyme called aldehyde dehydrogenase. The acetic acid then enters one of the many metabolic cycles that go on in our body.

However, acetaldehyde levels are frequently elevated in people who abuse alcohol and in people who have a defective form of the enzyme described above.

I would request you to provide more details of the clinical context for which you have asked this question and I shall be able to help you better. It would be extremely useful if you could include details on any symptoms or health conditions for which you have posted this query.

NADH (Nicotinamide Adenine Dinucleotide – reduced form), glutathione and arginine are not effective orally as they need to undergo various reactions to get active. These are not available for detoxification in the body.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr. Aparna
Follow-up: If a person was to take oral liposomal acetaldehyde dehydrogenase, NADH, Glutathione and Arginine, would this promote acetaldehyde breakdown? 24 hours later

Thank you for your reply. My question is purely hypothetical. If perhaps you could ingest liposomal acetaldehyde dehydrogenase to help speed the breakdown of the intermediate, would this be possible? I understand substances such as ascorbic acid are far more bio-available if taken orally via liposomal vectors.

And would this also solve the problem of the other substances? Such as the glutathione and acetyl-cysteine? If they were taken packaged as liposomes, increasing their bio-availability and thus reaching the hepatic system quickly and effectively?

I'm talking about things such as hangovers and Asian Blush syndrome, among others as well. What is your advice for this?

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 7 hours later
Hi and thanks for the clarification.

Alcohol metabolism occurs in the mitochondria and cytosol of the cells. The enzymes and the cofectors required for the metabolism are synthesised by the cell itself. Normally enzymes which are proteins and as such macromolecules donot cross the cell membrane.

Invitro liposomal products can be forced through the membranes using special techniques and this has also been used in some disorders as an inhalational therapy. But GI tract is a more complex situation and has various digestive enzymes which digest most of these complexes. Further selective targeting of hepatocytes may be difficult.

Hence most of the therapies aim at intoducing the genes whose integration is difficult.

With respect to glutathionine, it is the reduced form of it that acts as an antioxidant and is produced within the cell. We can increase it's level by using some hydrogen donors like S-adenosyl methionine.

Acetycysteine also acts as an antioxidant and may aid in acetaldehyde detoxification and mop off the free radicals generated during it's metabolism.

Hope this was of help.