Identified swelling in bilateral scrotal sac for new born child, advised sonography. Findings?

Feb 2013

Sir, My family doctor identified some swelling in bilateral scrotal sac for my new born child. He has observed this after 30-45 days of child birth. He had advised for a sonography. I had attached the same. Request your further advise on this if any medication is required or any further analysis to be done.
Thanks and regards,
Posted Tue, 17 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drugs has no role. Take pediatric surgeon opinion.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I went through the ultrasound of scrotum report of your baby and it shows the presence of fluid in the scrotal sac around the testes.

This condition is called congenital hydrocele. In this there will be accumulation of fluid in a space around the testicles.

Most of the fluid in sac usually gets absorbed into the body over time and the swelling will decreases especially before the age of 2 years.

Medications like drugs have no role in the treatment of this condition.

But you have to observe the swelling for the following:

1. Increase in the size of swelling of scrotal sac.

2. If the swelling is coming and going.

3. If the swelling causes any discomfort to baby like pain with crying.

4. If the swelling persists at the age of 2 years.

Therefore I advise you to take the opinion of a pediatric surgeon opinion, observe for any above changes in the scrotal swelling, and be in follow up with him.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.