Ice cold shins that feel wet, numbness and tingling in legs, pain in lower back. Is it normal?

I have ice cold shins and numbness and tingling in both legs up and down. Blood work is normal and an abdominal ultrasound was normal. But this numbness and tingling has persisted for about a month and left arm is a little numb. Have had l4-5 bulge throught the years...I am 53 but the pain has always been low back localized. This is an all new feeling and it is driving me crazy. Shins feel almost wet. Lots of tingling and numbness bilaterally.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 17 hours later

Thanks for the query

Regarding the tingling, numbness and excessive sweating in the shins possibly points to involvement of the peripheral nerves in the feet as well as the left upper limb. All these probably indicates multiple nerves involvement and a condition called mononeuritis multiplex.

To know the nature of the illness and the cause of neuropathy you probably may have to undergo tests like EMG. Based on the type of neuropathy further tests will be ordered by the Neuromuscular expert. So i personally feel you need to be in touch both with the Neurologist who is an expert in peripheral neuropathy.

I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern. The bottom line is that you need to arrange an appointment with your Neuromuscular expert to solve the issue and proceed further based on the results.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist