IVF transfer done. Beta hcg test done. What are the findings in the report?

Infertility Specialist
I had a 5 day ivf transfer on the 16/2 my hcg is as follows
10dpt 9, 8 days later 28, 5 days later 206, the next day 346, 2 days after 650. I have been told potential ectopic. Take it there is no way this could be viable due to the slow starting hcg?
Have had scan but nothing can be seen due to hcg levels. What do you think is going on?
Posted Thu, 4 Apr 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Following is my reply:

1) The beta hCG values show a slow rise. It could be either due to an ectopic pregnancy or due to an intrauterine pregnancy with delayed implantation.

2) You can wait for 2 more days and see if beta hCG rises again.

3) Meanwhile if you get pain abdomen or bleeding PV please rush to hospital

4) As of now there is no need to terminate pregnancy.

I hope I answered your query. You can ask me any more queries or doubts you have.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specilist
Follow-up: IVF transfer done. Beta hcg test done. What are the findings in the report? 7 minutes later
So is it possible to have delayed implantation by that length of time? As if we go by the transfer dates that would make me 6 weeks pregnant. The hcg levels from what i understand could indicated a 5 week pregnancy. How long can implantation of a 5 day embryo be delayed? The ivf clinic stopped all support medication at the hcg reading of 9....

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 20 minutes later

You are right. In very few rare cases this phenomenon is seen to have delayed rise in beta hCG values after a week. But there is also a chance of ectopic pregnancy. But at beta hCG valus of 650 it is very early to conclude.

Even if the medications are stopped, embryos will grow inside the womb as body can take care of the embryo.

Hence lets check levels after 2 weeks and decide. Do let me know if you have anymore doubts.

Dr XXXXXXX Koregol
IVF & Infertility specialist.